Google

7.09.2007

swimming lessons

when i was a kid, i rode the bus with a group of fellow heathens to the high school swimming pool for lessons. i am not sure i would let my kids do that today, although i think i was about jake's age the first time i went. i was a horrible swimmer then, and i am sure i am not any better now.

rewind... i am about 7 years old or so. i jumped off of a high diving board into my dad's arms...but my dad missed me (slippery little kid!) and i plunged to the bottom of the pool. it scared me to death. i was officially scarred for life.

fast forward...level 4 swimming lessons. (and i know the dude's name, but i won't share it here) let's call him assmunch. assmunch (the teacher) is making us jump from the diving board. i don't want to. assmunch makes me anyway. so i stand on the board, sobbing, in front of all my friends and people who weren't my friends. finally i jump....turns out i didn't die. so what???? i wanted to. i'll probably never jump off of a diving board again in my life. assmunch is hated by me to this day. he contributed to my humiliation and i'll never forget it.

ruined for life. ruined. i don't remember having a great childhood...just for the record. this was just another unhappy snippet.

my kids started lessons today. jake was placed in the level 2 group, then quickly moved up to the 3 group. jenna is still level 1, but i think they'll move her tomorrow. she's doing great.

i am scared for my kids to swim. i have completely irrational fear they'll drown. two years ago, my son got out a little too close to the deep end at my sister's pool, and i had to jump in fully clothed to save his scrawny little ass from drowning. today, the little monkey is doing front flips off the diving board (after no less than 3 big ass bounces). he made my heart stop. you know... i don't panic about much of what my kids do. i am pretty liberal with their activities. this one has me all worked up.

they are growing up so fast. is that what bothers me more than anything else?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte Ballard said...

"when i was a kid, i rode the bus with a group of fellow heathens to the high school swimming pool for lessons.

Are you calling me a heathen bitch? LOL.

Breath... nothing is worst than showing up at a lake when a 21 year old has just went under and doesn't know how to swim. Everyone screaming and freaking out, and me running in and diving in looking for the kid. I dived for 10 minutes looking for the body before the scuba team arrived. They found him in 9 feet of water. He could have bounced from the ground to get a breath but didn't know how.

Make sure they learn to swim. This is why my kids took lessons early.

P.S. I challenge you to the diving board. I promise I'll come down and get you. /hug

10:03 PM  
Blogger George said...

I have been in the ocean with other snorkeling divers, (no tanks) and watched them disappear into the depths beyond the 40 feet I was hovering at. This was on the face of a rock wall. They told me they dove to 90'. I guess I believed them. Swimming was not something I was good at but have enjoyed the accomodation that came with mother nature after repeated years of lessons and getting my feet wet.

11:25 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I never learned how to properly swim, but I did learn to swim.

Tom used to teach swimming lessons (he was on the swim team in college) so he's working with Faith.

Kids that know how to swim are safer if there is ever an accident.

I flipping hate diving boards - but I do love floating on a raft!

They'll be okay. Just let them learn how to do it the right way.

We can't stop time - all we can do is make sure our kids are fully prepared for the future.

HUGS

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter