Google

5.21.2007

frankly, sir, i don't give a damn

today something that i have known all along became crystal clear.

in order to get to my point, i have to give some background. i've gone thru several chapters in my life and i've flip-flopped (credit to john kerry for giving us the term flip-flopper. it now means so much more than just footwear!) several times on women's issues. i liked boys. then i hated them. then i didn't need them. i went through some feminist crap...you know that whole movement where women think men are irrelevant?

well, those women are wrong. but whatever. they have their right to believe whatever they want.

for the past few years, i have been a lover of man. one in particular, in fact. sometimes i wonder if he really knows how lucky he is. ;) our relationship is great. i respect him greatly and admire his manly qualities...like mowing the lawn, his strong hands on my girlie skin and his ability to grow more body hair than anyone else i know. he'll kill me for saying that, but he'll laugh about it too, so i think it's ok. lol. really, babe. if you ever read this, i think you are the best. the BEST.

so, now that i've established that i am a- not a feminist and b- lover of men, on to my point.

it's incredibly hard to be a professional woman. it takes a great deal of tact to work with men. my emotions used to get in the way, but i got over that very quickly. i know now that little tiffs at work are rarely personal. personalities can intensify the tiff, but they don't usually start that way.

at least with adults, that is. hmph.

today i kind of lost my cool. and i spoke up for myself. i know that i came across as a complete bitch and those who were involved probably think i was on the rag (i am not, btw), stressed out, hungry or needed to get laid or get more sleep. whatever. it was none of these things. being assertive is hard!!! being a woman in the workplace is a struggle. i think men have it easy at work...i really do. hopefully some man reader out there will correct me.

at least i know that i was right. ha.

now if you'll excuse, the bachelor has to break someone's heart tonight. i can't wait!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I agree 100%. There is no good way to assert yourself sometimes. I've worked for crazy men AND a crazy woman. But I've also worked for some great men. There are whackjobs everywhere.

It's hard out here being a pimp.. or however that song goes!!

Fight the good fight!!

9:19 PM  
Blogger jess said...

i am pissed about the bachelor, btw. he totally threw me a curve ball and picked the "other" woman.

total shocker.

this is why i don't watch this kind of crap. wtf is wrong with me???

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not assertive on any level and it has lead me into a kind of dead end situation at my job. If anything good comes to me professionally in the future it will be entirely by chance and not due to my own devices. Pretty sad. I admire your ability to stick up for yourself!

Thus your reward will be a STG's CD left in your work space Wed night. Pretty damn great reward I'm thinking! ;-P

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jonalyn Fincher said...

Reminds me of some elusive quote about how all a woman needs to do to be called a bitch is to put a man on hold.
I've been wrestling with thoughts like this for the last three years. The fruit of it all...drumroll....... A book that just came out, last month. Ruby Slippers: How the Soul of a Woman Brings Her Home. See more at Amazon or Borders.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Al said...

unfortunately, there's no good way to assert yourself as a woman without being called a bitch.
unless you don't take any shit from the get go. we all know how difficult that is to do when you're starting a new job.
what's even worse, when you're working with a bunch o' crass drillers and you're the only woman.
whatever. there is no right answer to this. except if they want to think you're a bitch, that's their problem. but after a small while of you being assertive, they'll begin to respect you. they won't have a choice, yo.
plus- i don't think you're a bitch. in the least.
mwah!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul Rolly had a great column on this in the Salt Lake Tribune. Guys at work can do the male bonding thing, which can include some fairly sophomoric (but fun!) stuff. I've started golfing with some male coworkers for example. It has nothing and everything to do with work.

Anyways, here's the Rolly column. It's fun.

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_5849425

12:23 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Loved the post and am curious about the episode. I could ask Jon but being a male he would have disappointingly few observations.

Dammit.

7:37 PM  
Blogger jess said...

tom, thanks for the link. i am gonna check it out. maybe there'll be a part two to my post.

i like to do things with co-workers too, but it's hard when you are a woman...and 94% of your co-workers are men.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter