Google

2.12.2007

A bicycler's story (kindof)


I got some news today about a girl I went to undergrad with that kindof makes me nervous. She got hit by a car this weekend while out riding her bike. If you'll be kind enough to think back a few months, you might remember that yours truly has shared this experience.
This is a photo of my leg a few hours after being hit by a car. I, however, was lucky enough to have been hit by someone who had been completely stopped and therefore, only slid across 3 1/2 lanes of road.
My friend was not so lucky. Granted, she survived and is conscious but she's pretty torn up. She had to have her spleen removed, has a collapsed lung, a broken pelvis, broken ribs and had surgery on her elbow.
I know she's a responsible girl and was wearing her helmet but I can't help but think how much worse things would be if she wasn't. I guess if I was the prayin' type I'd include her but I'll just keep her in my thoughts and go for a visit later this week.
I also can't help thinking that it's only a matter of time until the same sort of thing happens to me. In fact, I was telling T the other day that I couldn't wait to start riding my bike to work again.
While this nervous realization doesn't change my mind one iota, it will make a very cautious road biker more so. I guess that's never a bad thing.
I do want to take this moment, though, to remind everyone to PLEASE pay attention and share the road. I know that you all do and are very observant people but there's no harm in a little reminder now, is there?

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Holy hell! That looks awful! I'm sorry about your friend too. Tell her she's being sent good vibes from the blogsphere.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

HOLY HELL!

That looks so painful!

I am really sorry about your friend, those injuries sound really horrible.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Brigitte Ballard said...

I realize that TWO people put Holy Hell in their comments so I had to too.

Holy Hell that looks so very terrible, awful, painful, purple, blotchy, and oh... so... not Barbie.

I am glad you didn't get as hurt as your friend. Please be safe when you bike. I worry about you.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter