Google

2.09.2007

I'm no Bridge...

Ok, so after driving through Colorado City, AZ (home of the elusive Mr. Jeffers and his crazy polygamist society) I'm really pissed that they chose such an amazingly gorgeous place to settle. Seriously, if not for those bastards, I'd buy retirement land there.

I often wonder if good ole' Brigham Young (the Mormon 'prophet' who lead his crew to Salt Lake for those of you who are unfamiliar) knew how nice the southern parts of UT were because if he did, why in the eff did he choose a great big salty lake to settle down in?

Maybe I'm just extremely partial to the browns, faded greens, pinks, yellows and reds found in the southwest. It is my adopted home, you know.

I drove home through Zion National Park and I'm kindof mad at myself for not taking more time there. It just means that I have to go back (there you go T) to camp and hike. I think part of the problem is that I'm a wanna-be geologist and since I like to pretend that I know a thing or two (I hope none of my previous Physical Geology students EVER find and read this particular post cuz I'll be in deep shit...) all of the geology in Zion and through the Four Corners area almost brings me to tears. Seriously, I found myself almost crying on my drive out to St. George. The landscape was heart achingly beautiful and left me speechless. A few examples are below.













On the left is a photo of some old ass sandstone (likely sand dunes) and on the left is the same except multi-colored (with my car in the right hand corner...)

I LOVE this picture. You can definitely see the different phases of dune building and evidence of erosional forces in the interim.













More to come, I think. Either way, I had a GREAT time and look forward to more trips.

On a totally different note. I've kindof decided to join the ranks of internet 'dating' personnel. Ok, only kindof. My 'profile' is mostly bullshit but I wanted to see what kind of guys are "looking for love" (/puke, gag) in the ABQ area. I didn't include a picture and think that my title "Beer drinker seeks same" has grabbed the attention of some guys because a few sent emails or winks saying that they'd "read my entire profile" and were "interested" or "intrigued" and etc. I tend to think it's just because I was talking about beer (and not shit beer, mind you but the good microbrew stuff- more so if it's organic!). T thinks I should talk to them but I'm still finding it absolutely hilarious.
What do you all think? I guess there's always the chance to get some free food and beer out of it, right?

4 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

only you could love rocks the way i love my kids.

LOL.

xoxo

6:03 PM  
Blogger tao1776 said...

Al, I comment on Jess's stuff all the time. I saw this today and replied with a long philisophical post about companions, soul mates and the beauty of our surroundings.
I deleted it. Why? Because your reflection on the world about you had me stop and think....
You're doing fine.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and foremost, I had a wonderful time! Thanks for coming out. Second- Thanks for the Zions pass. It will be put to good use tomorrow in the rain! And third, I love that you love Rocks! It's becouse of you I have a better awarness and appreciation for nature and it's beauty, cleverness and history. And not to mention it's forces. Keep up the good work! And I have to thank Brige for talking you into that camera! It's awesome!

Love!

btw- I still don't think you're a geek!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Brigitte Ballard said...

LOL... I guess you learned to love rocks from being my friend. I swear I have rocks for brains, or at least I was told that by my fam.

Internet dating? Could be a blast. Your young and single. Why not?

You only have until March when you turn old. /wink. Live it up young chick.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter