Google

3.03.2007

Idiot days are here again

This morning I was forced to face another keen realization about myself. It goes like this...
just because one has an advanced degree doesn't necessarily make one smart or intelligent or even keen. In fact, it may mean that one may be lacking in some pretty basic social skills and/or street smarts/common sense.

Take this author, as a prime example. An ex of mine used to tell me all of the time
"Baby, you're one smart girl but when it comes to common sense, you're an idiot. Sometimes you do things that just baffle me with the lack of common sense you use."

Ok, so I don't remember if he used exactly those words (in fact, I'm sure of it. He may not have known what 'baffle' means) but that was the general gist. I have had some moments where I strongly disagreed with his assessment but this morning, I have to strongly agree.

Here's why-
I just got wired to the internet this week. I picked up my modem on Wednesday night and then spent 1/2 an hour on the phone with my ISP because I couldn't configure my modem and the DSL light was flashing instead of remaining solid.
So, the ISP sent out someone to check the external lines and I was still unable to connect. My DSL light was still flashing. So I spent another 45 minutes on the phone getting irate. They scheduled another tech visit for this morning.
Picture it- Saturday morning, 0845, the ISP tech stops by. My DSL light is still flashing (not to mention that I'd done a frantic clean up job so my room didn't look like a wind storm hit). He does something to the back of my modem and VOILA! no more flashing DSL light. So I wonder if there's some switch on the back that I was supposed to switch. Nope! I'm not that lucky.
So I look at the the tech and he gives me that "OMG! Did this girl just get released from some sort of assisted living facility? I don't think she should be living alone. I'm not sure if she'll survive for long." look and he says...

"You had the phone cord in the wrong port."

See, I had plugged the phone line into the 'phone' port of the modem instead of the 'line' port of the modem.

I apologized profusely and bowed my head in shame. The tech acted as though he'd dealt with other idiots like myself and all was well. I should have thanked him for that. But it didn't help me feel any better.

Seriously, I should have been able to figure that out. That's what someone pays me to do, right? To scientifically analyze problems, assess various situations, and determine best solutions or best practices to solve the problem. And I can't figure out that my phone line is connected to the incorrect modem port!

I may deserve a mention in the Darwin's Awards.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

"See, I had plugged the phone line into the 'phone' port of the modem instead of the 'line' port of the modem."

What kind of gobeldegook is this? I wouldn't even know how to purchase a modem let alone plug in the phone line. Seriously, don't worry your still way ahead of the game :D

10:43 AM  
Blogger Brigitte Ballard said...

Um, yeah, even I know how to do that.... sheesh.

LOL. But I didn't the first time. /smile. The whole modem/dsl/cable/wireless shit baffles me. Do not be too hard on yourself. That is what Jess and I are here for.

Oh, btw... to turn on your computer there is a button that say's power. Just in case you were wondering. /wink /wink

11:27 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Uh.

What if you have no advance degree and are still someone who was obviously beaten too many times with the Stupid Stick.

Feel sorry for US poor folk...

1:50 PM  
Blogger jess said...

hey..don't beat yourself up TOO hard!! i was helping someone out with THEIR internet connection. to make a long story short, i had stupidly tried to plug her dial-up phone line INTO the ethernet port. DUH. i was way too far ahead of her current technology levels. DUH.

you? have a lack of common sense? nooooooooo.. that is soooo not true!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a BS in Computer Science.

The scary part is how many of my fellow graduates wouldn't even understand your post, much less have been able to troubleshoot the problem.

Luckily I don't suffer the same fate for this one. If there's one area I know fairly well it's computers...

Now cars? I'm next to worthless.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter