Google

5.31.2007

Because I am a meany and a terrible mom!

Let's get this straight. I know I am NOT a terrible mom. Maybe not a great mom, but not a terrible one. Some days are better than others. If you have kids you understand. If you don't have kids, but have mistakenly visited a "family" restaurant... you also understand.

Today my daughter tried to manipulate me.

Remember that she is five years old. FIVE!

Here is the scenario...

Today my daughter, my mother and I had lunch at Arby's in Logan. In case their headquarters happens to Google this... we had great customer service. Give all the employees raises! Anyways, Arby's was terribly busy today. We finished eating and my daughter wanted some ice cream. Anyone who knows my mom knows how much of a sucker she is for giving my kids anything they want. They are her only grand kids after all. What this meant is that I got to stand in line for 15 minutes waiting to order an ice cream. Once again the employees were working their butts off Arby's headquarters. Trust me. So... my daughter got her ice cream.

Fast forward five minutes later in the car...

This is when I am driving to Maceys in Providence.

Daughter: mom, um, since we are going to Maceys can I have a doughnut?
Me: Uh, NO.
Daughter: Why not momma?
Me: Because you are currently eating a milkshake and do not need anymore sugar today.
Daughter: Why not? You have loaded me up with sugar before. (Yes, she said this)
Me: Well, um, I really do NOT like to load you up on sugar.
Daughter: PLEASE??? (in that annoying voice)
Me: No... I am a mean mom.
Daughter: No your not. (in the sing song voice)
Me: Um, yes I am! (in the same sing song voice)

Fast forward 20 minutes later...

I get out of the car and start to go into the house. My arms are full with groceries. This is when my daughter starts complaining that she has to carry in a milkshake and gum. Yeah, a milkshake and a gum. Let me remind you that my arms are FULL. So I leave her in the car.

My daughter is perfectly capable of carrying in said items, and she gets in and out of the car by herself all the time.

Ten minutes later she comes into the house crying that I left her and that I am a "mean" mom because I wouldn't help her carry ALL of her stuff in.

I swear I give up.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Sweetie, I hate to tell you this, but manipulation can start a LOT earlier than 5. Trust me.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brigitte, I left my cell phone in the car. Could you bring it in for me? please Your not a mean friend!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO... It's funny cuz it's soooo true... Mine's about four and a half... Same arguements, same whiny PLEASE, same "But I need HELP" carrying anything.

Oh man, I needed a good laugh...

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Uhhh, we have the same 5 year old daughter! I swear that same thing happens to me all the time. I try the mean mom route too, but she reminds me that I'm not, but I remind her that I am. Oh truly, same thing, word for word.

(this is Polly's friend Alison. Loralee gave me the link and I will pass it on to Polly!)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Brigitte Ballard said...

Loralee... yeah, it did start earlier, but not with me. /sigh

Karen... Um, sure... I'll bring your cell phone in. 1-900- you get my drift. /wink

Eagle... I hate carrying anything in anymore. /sigh sigh

Ali... Great to hear from you! I am excited to possibly get to say hi to Polly too! Please do pass it along.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter