Google

10.18.2006

Information for sale

so I got this email from my brother the other day with a website (http://www.zabasearch.com/) that houses a database. It seems as though this database allows unknown persons (NOT the feds because they already have this info) to search for you and then pay money to get your personal information.

There were 6 hits on my name (not an easy one to mistake for someone else) that included previous addresses, etc.

I always knew that people with loads of money (aka ad firms, marketing people, etc.) would be able to purchase such information but letting the general public do so is not something I'm crazy about. Think about it.

You meet a 10 in a bar and (because you've had a few) you give him your real name. Well, he really digs you, and why shouldn't he? You're a 1!- and wants to find out more about you, your name, your #, your birthday, your address, etc.
Wow! I'm stoked about that. I don't know how much these services cost but would rather not have the option available for Mr. 10 to find me by looking me up in a database.

I'd like to give a big shout out to technology for this. I love you technology. You've made it possible for me to remove words from documents and emails without white out and you've made it possible for me to stay in constant contact with my buddies (TB and TR as I guess they're called- hey ladies- thanks for giving me a new nick name, real nice...) via IM. You've done a whole host of other things for which I am grateful and pleased. But I put my foot down on this one.

/stomps foot

1 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

You can have a new nickname, too.

Let me think on it for a while.

This website is SCARY. I couldn't believe all the stuff you could see just off of the search page!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counter